I have a mapper created with a mapper extension that has an
after_update() override.
For a table in the mapper I do an update and then a commit().

This is the resulting order of execution:

update instance (setting an attribute on the mapped class)
commit
after_update called on instance

I.e. The after_update is called after the commit (after the commit has
actually committed to the DB , in fact).
How can I cause it to be called before the commit?
I have tried flushing explicitly before committing (although the
session is autoflush) but it didn't change the behavior. Trying to use
before_update instead, didn't change things either.

Why the order is important : In the after_update I save to another
table of the session. I would like the commit() call to commit the
whole transaction - both the original update and the insertion in the
aftre_update().