The first release of 0.5 is now available.  For those who have been
slow to move to the trunk, 0.5 represents a great leap in refinement
to the paradigms that have become standard in 0.4, with a good degree
of "API lockdown" that removes all the clutter that was lingering from
0.3.

For the typical 0.4 application that didn't rely on any deprecated
features, migration to 0.5 should be pretty straightforward.    The
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/wiki/05Migration
  should be the guide, and everyone should feel free to amend this
document regarding notes and changes.

The best place to familiarize with the ORM is the new tutorial, which
is hands down the best SA tutorial we've ever had which I'd recommend
everyone read:  http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/05/ormtutorial.html .
We're standardizing on the declarative extension (for those who don't
use Elixir), sessions that hug along transactions, and Query as the
single point of SQL generation (including as an ORM-enabled
replacement for select()).    As these features are all quite new I'd
like to start piling up some user experience data so we can get all
the bugs out by the first final release.

Download SQLA 0.5 beta1 at:  http://www.sqlalchemy.org/download.html