I did some more research on this.

If I change back to 0.4.3, i.e. change my model to use:
##    pkg_resources.require("sqlalchemy") # get latest version
    pkg_resources.require("sqlalchemy==0.4.3") # use a specific version

Then I can debug my code, i.e. my application starts.

So, I changed it back to 0.5.beta1 and tried to find out were the
problem "starts" in my code, it is on the following line.

        self.prefs = self.ds.query(db.prefminimal).get(1)

"prefminimal" is a "redefinition" of the "preferences" table, i.e. it
only maps columns which are present in the preferences table regardless
of the version of my application.

The model for it is:
metadataMin = sa.MetaData()
prefminimal_table = sa.Table(u'preferences', metadataMin,
    sa.Column(u'prefid', sa.Integer(),
sa.Sequence('gen_preferences_prefid'), primary_key=True, nullable=False),
    sa.Column(u'fk_langid', sa.Integer(),
sa.ForeignKey(u'language.langid'), nullable=False),
    sa.Column(u'dbstructure', sa.Integer()),
    sa.Column(u'dbdata', sa.Integer()),
)

class Prefminimal(OrmObject):
    pass

prefminimal = sao.mapper(Prefminimal, prefminimal_table,
    properties={
})

All other tables (including the full version of preferences) are using
"metadata = sa.MetaData()", instead of the "metadataMin" I use for the
prefminimal definition.

I got this working some month ago, but maybe this is not the right way
to go about it and it bits me now?

Werner