On Jun 25, 2008, at 1:45 PM, sandro dentella wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I'm adding validation to a (generic) gtk sql editor.
>
>   The first thing I'd like to know is if I can reach the old values
>   of an instance after I modified it (before committing).
>   The reason is that I'd like  to give the possibility to have new
>   and old values in the validation of the record.
>
>   thanks in advance

the full historical data for an attribute is available as:

from sqlalchemy.orm import attributes

hist = attributes.get_history(attributes.instance_state(myobject),
'someattribute')

the return value is a tuple of (newvalues, unchangedvalues,
deletedvalues) and is the same form for collections and scalars.