Yes it appears to be a pyodbc problem, which is a shame because it's
making debugging my project incredibly difficult (and I've had even
more problems with the other MS SQL libraries like pymssql).

The bug report is here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1948657&group_id=162557&atid=824254

I am willing to put in a lot of time to make this work - however I
have no experience in C++ so it's going to be a challenge without some
help.

Here is a reproduction of the problem in pyodbc:

>>> import pyodbc
>>> cnxn = pyodbc.connect("DSN=xxxxxx;UID=xxxxx;PWD=xxxxxx")
>>> cursor=cnxn.cursor()
>>>
>>> cursor.execute("select * from no_such_table")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
<type 'instance'>: ('42S02', "[42S02] [FreeTDS][SQL Server]Invalid
object name 'no_such_table'. (208) (SQLExecDirectW)")

>>> try:
...     cursor.execute("select * from no_such_table")
... finally:
...     print "Oh dear me!"
Oh dear me!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 4, in ?
SystemError: 'finally' pops bad exception

I am going to try contacting the admin for pyodbc and it also looks
like the bug report has some sort of patch you can apply right at the
bottom in errors.diff (which I will try applying and then rebuilding
pyodbc, but like I say I have no C++ experience so won't be able to do
much if that doesn't work).

Any more advice?