On Aug 26, 2008, at 9:56 AM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> And this does what it should do. So I expect that the engine is
> fetched out of Gewicht.
>
> First I had:
>        for row in engine.execute('SELECT MIN(gewicht) AS gewicht '
>                                  ',      MIN(vet) AS vet '
>                                  ',      MAX(water) AS water '
>                                  ',      MAX(spieren) AS spieren '
>                                  'FROM   gewicht '):
> but because I want it to have the code engine independend I changed
> that to:
>        for row in sa.select([sa.func.min(Gewicht.gewicht)
>                               , sa.func.min(Gewicht.vet)
>                               , sa.func.max(Gewicht.water)
>                               ,
> sa.func.max(Gewicht.spieren)]).execute():
> The problem with this is that I now need to use row[0] instead of
> row.gewicht. Is there a way to use row.gewicht also in the case
> sa.select?
>
> Is this a good way of doing things, or should I work with severall
> engines?

I dont quite understand how the difference between Query and select()
has an impact on using a single or multiple Engine objects.    So I'll
sum up the two "multiple databases" approaches.   "Vertical
partitioning" means that different tables reside in different engines,
and "horizontal partitioning", also known as "sharding", means that
the same tables reside in multiple engines, but individual rows are
spread across multiple databases.  SQLA has support for both of these
paradigms which are described (brielfy) at
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/05/session.html#unitofwork_partitioning
  .  Not sure if this is what you're looking for.