copy.copy() is going to have issues since you'd be copying the
_sa_state of the instance as well.   "copying" an object that is SQLA
mapped implies a particular use case in mind, depending on this use
case is what would determine how you get your "copy".

Would you like to get a "copy" that is simply the same object with the
same identity, just as present in another session (in which case use
merge()) ?

Or would you like to get a "copy" that is a transient (no database
identity) copy of that object, with all attributes except primary key
attributes copied over ?  ( in which case you'd use a copy constructor
which possibly uses mapping metadata to traverse ) ?