I ran into a similar issue using MySQL-python-1.2.1_p2-1 (mysqldb)
with SA 0.4.2p3-1.

http://www.mail-archive.com/sqlalchemy@googlegroups.com/msg00373.html
might shed some more light on this issue which might be a double
encoding problem?

Here is the subset of relevant keyword arguments we use with that
particular database driver in create_engine:

create_engine_kwargs = {
    'encoding': 'utf-8',
    'connect_args': {
        'use_unicode': False,