joelanman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly - I'm hugely impressed with SQLAlchemy - it's really helped me
> a lot with my new project.
>
> I'm having problems storing international characters in mysql using
> SQLAlchemy. For example:
>
>   école—school
>
> looks like this in mysql:
>
>   école—school
>
> I'm using the following engine call:
>
>   engine = create_engine(config.db, encoding='utf-8')
>
> and using Unicode as the column type:
>
>   Column('content',       UnicodeText),
>
> and utf8 for the table:
>
>   mysql_charset='utf8'
>
> I'm pretty sure all my mySQL options are set to utf8. This looks
> really similar to a 'double encoding' issue I found while searching
> the group, but it seems that was fixed in python-mysql 1.2.2, which is
> what I'm using.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Most likely you just need to configure the db-api's client encoding by
adding ?charset=utf8 onto your connection URL.

Enough folks have hit this recently that I'm (again) considering passing
through the engine encoding= parameter to the MySQLdb connection setup.
  I've resisted the urge for a while because we don't to my knowledge
re-configure any db-apis in any of the backends.  But this keeps coming
up despite being documented in the mysql section of the docs, and last
time I traced through it, it seemed like MySQLdb was ignoring the
server's configured connection_encoding so a little assist from the SA
side would probably be useful.

I'll look at sneaking that into the upcoming rc2 unless the
implementation is untenable for some reason or there's an outcry.