On Friday 14 November 2008 19:00:30 Michael Bayer wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2008, at 11:22 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > isn't it going to be usable if
> > klas.some2many_relation == obj
> > is automaticaly rendered as
> > klas.some2many_relation.contains( obj)
> > ?
> > unless the == in that case has some other meaning...
>
> we took that case out, its behavior was ambiguous and not really
> correct from any relational standpoint.
>
> (btw whats "sometomany" ?   "manytomany" not sufficient ? its hard
> to parse these emails sometimes...)
anytomany, i.e. either onetomany or manytomany

> > i'm using some query-building-functions over mixture of plain
> > references and many2many and switching between the syntaxes
> > depending on the attr is somewhat guesswork.
>
> In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess.
on the higher level of abstracion, it's not ambigiuos - Reference
(n->1) vs bitemporal Reference (n->m). Well, last one has 2
subcases - to concrete version .contains(some_dbid) or to whole
obj-history - .any( objid==someObjid)

> > btw same goes for
> > klas.some2many_relation.has( ... ) into .any()
>
> if you really have to work this way,
> Class.attrname.property.direction will be any of ONETOMANY,
> MANYTOONE, MANYTOMANY
ah, okay, i'm using these and some other stuff
(dbcook.about_relation), i was just thinking aloud seeing similar
interfaces/comparisons being named differently just because of their
specific type.
so i have something like .is_or_contains() and .has_or_anyhas(), as
equivalent to a.refB==b1 and a.refB.has( b_attr==value) (where refs
can be either plain or bitemporal)

the plain Collection (1->n) vs bitemporal Collection (m->n) case is
already handled transparently, with interfaces being same: .has/.any.

ciao
svil