I was wondering if anyone is aware of a way that I can customize the
way query filters are written - possibly by some sort of customization
of table columns?

The issue is that I have some odd data/column types that can't be
compared directly. That is, "SELECT * WHERE column1=value1" will not
work - instead, I need to do "SELECT * WHERE user_func(column1)
=user_func(value1)" or in some instances I want to do "SELECT * WHERE
column2=user_func(value2)".

So rather than everyone who writes queries having to remember to write
these out as text or such, it'd be good if I could tell sqlalchemy to
always re-write the queries that way whenever a user tests for
equivalence on the relevant columns.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks
Iain