is_modified() has a flag "passive" which when set to True, disables lazy
loaders from executing.  As it turns out the flag was also not hooked up
so you'd have to use the latest trunk to get this.

the reason it wants to lazily load things is because the "modified"
calculation compares the current value to that which is present in the
database, so when things are not loaded it can't make that determination.