I've created a full test case that should reproduce the error for you.
You'll need to create a database called 'test' on your local machine.
I think I've isolated the problem to the use of the creator keyword
argument, which I use in my application for various reasons.

http://rafb.net/p/8Ayjxc63.html

Results in:

http://rafb.net/p/QPoesQ74.html

Here are the versions I used to cause this bug:

mysqld  Ver 5.0.67-0ubuntu6 for debian-linux-gnu on i486 ((Ubuntu))
MySQLdb 1.2.2

For sqlalchemy, I've tried 0.5rc4 and 0.4.8; it happens with either
version.