I'm not an sqlite guru, so I can only point to relevant doc's:

http://www.sqlite.org/lang_createvtab.html

The format after USING is

   module-name (module-arg-list)

where the (module-arg-list) is optional.

I got fts3 working by letting sqlalchemy do its thing and then issue
explicit drop and create virtual table statements on the DB. I can
then use the match() filter and it seems fine.

It would be great to have a way to do this without having to manually
mod the db.

BTW, I was also trying to see if I could add a custom SchemaItem
object as the first object in the Table constructor after the metadata
field; thinking it could generate the USING FTS3 part. I'm I right
that this is the wrong way to think about SchemaItem's, I could not
get anywhere with the idea.

Thanks again, loving sqlalchemy!