I advocate using an explicit copy method for this use case.  Its true
that you can't just copy the full __dict__ of the object along.

At its core the state which is required is that the object has an
"_sa_instance_state" attribute which represents a transient object (as
opposed to a persistent state, which is what you get when you load the
object).   If you copy the existing _sa_instance_state, SQLA will see
the object as already persistent in the database.

The easiest way to get that state is to just instantiate a new object
normally, i.e. newobject = MyObject().   You then want to get the
correct attribute state present, while at the same time triggering the
"change" events which SQLAlchemy uses to determine what data needs to
be inserted.  For that you set an attribute, i.e. newobject.foo =
'bar' or setattr(newobject, 'foo', 'bar').

Hence doing it explcitly, like by using __deepcopy__ (see the python
docs for copy.deepcopy),  makes all this as straightforward as possible:

class MyClass(object):
     def __deepcopy__(self, memo):
         newobj = MyClass()

         # copy scalar attributes
         for attr in ('foo', 'bar', 'bat'):
             setattr(newobj, attr, getattr(self, attr))

         # copy references to other objects
         for ref in ('x', 'y', 'z'):
             setattr(newobj, attr, deepcopy(getattr(self, attr)))

         return newobj

If you really want to copy lots of data between two databases though,
its probably a lot more efficient to not use an ORM for that, and to
use either explicit INSERT constructs or the bulk update tools
supplied with the database.