this can be changed but the function still makes no sense.   What if
you also said "t3 = users.tometadata(metadata,
schema='SOME_SCHEMA')"  ?   then you would want the "system.users.id"
FK to be changed.    the tometadata() approach doesn't provide an API
that can take the use case of variable schema names into account.

Therefore, feel free to implement tometadata() yourself using
column.copy() and constraint.copy():

def copy_table(table, metadata, schema_map):
     args = []
     for c in table.columns:
         args.append(c.copy())
     for c in table.constraints:
         if isinstance(c, ForeignKeyConstraint):
             elem = list(c.elements)[0]
             schema = schema_map[elem.column.table.schema]
         else:
             schema=None
         args.append(c.copy(schema=schema))
     return Table(table.name, metadata,
schema=schema_map[table.schema], *args)

usage:

m2 = MetaData()
t2 = copy_table(t, m2, {None:'SOME_SCHEMA', 'system':'system'})

will map tables with no schema to SOME_SCHEMA, tables with "system" to
the "system" schema.