The "Controlling Ordering" section of the docs mentions that using
order_by on mappers is the standard way for setting a default ordering
against a single mapped entity.  This seems like a good feature.  Is
there another way?  Will this be deprecated in the future?

What's also really weird is that if I put my __mapper_args__ at the
beginning of the definition of Anything then I get the following
errors for q1.union(q2),  query.union(q1, q2) and query.union_all(q1,
q2):

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.5.2-py2.5.egg/
sqlalchemy/sql/visitors.py", line 247, in clone
    cloned[element] = element._clone()
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute '_clone'

If I put __mapper_args__ at the end it passes through.  Also if I use
the original:
u = union(q1.statement, q2.statement)
print list(session.query(Anything).from_statement(u))

... then it doesn't matter where the __mapper_args__ are.

And for posterity, this is where the order_by(None)'s should be:

q1 = session.query(Anything).join('somethings').order_by(None)
q2 = session.query(Anything).join('somethings').order_by(None)
q = session.query(Anything).order_by(None).union(q1, q2)