I'm using Declarative extension actually.

In the pylons framework, the session initialise like this
def init_model(engine):
    """Call me before using any of the tables or classes in the
model"""
    sm = orm.sessionmaker(autoflush=True, autocommit=False,
bind=engine)

    meta.engine = engine
    meta.Session = orm.scoped_session(sm)