Oops, I messed up the 0.4.8 data as I was
cutting and pasting.

Corrected, actual data sent by 0.4.8:

     Query: set implicit_transactions on
     RPC Name: sp_datatype_info
     Query: INSERT INTO sa_test (data, time) VALUES ('bingo',
'2009-03-24 15:08:12')
     Query: IF @@TRANCOUNT > 0 COMMIT TRAN
     Query: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM sa_test WHERE data='bingo'
     Query: IF @@TRANCOUNT > 0 ROLLBACK TRAN

So, no BEGIN TRANSACTION (or SET
IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS OFF).