I'm quite green with sqlalchemy so please excuse me if this question
is very basic.  I'm having a problem reading property values of an
object after a query.  First let me describe the layout of my
application.  I have a User class which is mapped into a database.
The user class is defined as such:
class User(Base):
        __tablename__ = 'users'

        id = Column(Integer, primary_key=True)
        name = Column(String(40))
        hash = Column(String(40))
        salt = Column(String(16))

I have a Database class which I use as a wrapper for querying/updating
the database.  Snippet:
class Database:
        def __init__(self, file):
                self.engine = create_engine('sqlite:///' + file, echo=False)
                self.Session = sessionmaker(bind=self.engine)
                m = metadata()
                m.create_all(self.engine)

        def add_user(self,name,passphrase):
                #generate a salt for the passphrase and save the hash
                #... code excluded
                user = User(name,salt,pw_hash)
                session = self.Session()
                session.add(user)
                session.commit()

I ran into a problem when querying the database:
        def get_user(self,uname):
                session = self.Session()
                q = session.query(User).filter_by(name=str(uname)).first()
                session.close()
                return q

The resulting User object is basically useless as none of its
properties can be accessed (I'm assuming this is because the session
has been closed).  Now leaving the session open is not an option as I
may need to delete the User from another session later.  I believe
what I need is "eager loading" of all the User properties.  How would
I accomplish this?

thanks,
hticker