Lucas,

Thanks for taking a peek at this!

My connection string looks like: 'mssql://user:p...@server/db?
driver=FreeTDS_82&Servername=MyServer'

where FreeTDS_82 is defined in my odbcinst.ini, and MyServer is
defined in my freetds.conf.

I've tried 'tds version = 8.0' and 'tds version = 7.0' in my
freetds.conf, but still see the same behavior.  I'm fairly certain
both config files are being read correctly.

Using FreeTDS 0.82, I see the exception as reported.  Using FreeTDS
0.63, I see a slightly different exception:

    raise exc.DBAPIError.instance(statement, parameters, e,
connection_invalidated=is_disconnect)
    DBAPIError: (Error) ('HY000', 'The driver did not supply an
error!') 'INSERT INTO activities (institution, application_id) VALUES
(?, ?); select scope_identity()' ['UMass', 1]

and the FreeTDS log includes:

    17:28:26.864001 tds_submit_query(): state is PENDING
    17:28:26.864015 tds_client_msg: #20019: "Attempt to initiate a new
SQL Server operation with results pending.".  Connection state is now
1.

which suggests to me the same problem, just being caught in a
different place.

I should also mention that simpler tests (e.g., using the ORM to save
an object with no relations) do succeed.

-Tom