Hello,

In my application I have a function that looks more or less like this

    def run(self):
        # process first object in sequence
        for firstObject in firstObjects:
            self.session.add(firstObject)
        self.session.commit()

        # process second object in sequence
        # lots of these, so break along the way
        count = 0
        for secondObject in secondObjects:
            self.session.add(secondObject)
            count += 1
            if (count > 100):
                #**********************************
                self.session.commit()
                #**********************************
                count = 0
                time.sleep(1)   # pause to let other process access
the db
        self.session.commit()

        # process third objects
        for thirdObject in thirdObjects:
            self.session.add(thirdObject)
        self.session.commit()

The commit nested inside the second loop (highlighted by asterisks) is
potentially called many times (occasionally there are thousands of
objects to deal with).  intermittently that commit will produce the
following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\StagingService.py", line 106, in __init__
    self.run(self.pushPath,self.stagingPath)
  File "C:\StagingService.py", line 231, in run
    self.session.commit()
  File "c:\python25\Lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\session.py", line
673, in commit
    self.transaction.commit()
  File "c:\python25\Lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\session.py", line
378, in commit
    self._prepare_impl()
  File "c:\python25\Lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\session.py", line
351, in _prepare_impl
    self._assert_is_active()
  File "c:\python25\Lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\session.py", line
247, in _assert_is_active
    "The transaction is inactive due to a rollback in a "
InvalidRequestError: The transaction is inactive due to a rollback in
a subtransaction.  Issue rollback() to cancel the transaction.

I've read elsewhere in this group (http://groups.google.com/group/
sqlalchemy/browse_thread/thread/b87af73232998fe4) about this error
message, but I'm not sure what they mean by "squelching the original
exception somewhere".  Can someone please help me understand why I'm
getting this error and ideas on how to fix it.

Thanks.