On May 6, 7:56 am, Ed Singleton <singleto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If it helps, I have finally got my system working, now using FreeTDS
> 0.82, SQLAlchemy 0.5.3, pymssql, Python 2.5, (all on Mac Leopard) and
> SQL Server 2005 (on an WinXP vm).
>
> With this setup, your test passes without any problems.
>
> I also tried it out using pyodbc 2.1.5 and the test failed with this
> traceback:
>      raise exc.DBAPIError.instance(statement, parameters, e,
> connection_invalidated=is_disconnect)
> ProgrammingError: (ProgrammingError) ('42000', '[42000] [FreeTDS][SQL
> Server]Must declare the scalar variable "@u#". (137)
> (SQLExecDirectW)') u'SELECT user_name() as user_name;' []

This is a result of passing unicode statements directly to FreeTDS
which doesn't work.

If you change the test case to indicate that supports_unicode and
supports_unicode_statements = False, then it runs just fine with the
fix.  Without the fix it fails as well, which indicates to me the
issue is in FreeTDS.

I'd like to commit this but I want to have a discussion with Mike
Bayer first to be sure he's okay with it.

Michael