On May 10, 5:13 am, Nicholas Dudfield <ndudfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have been using SQLA for a few months.
>
> For admin CRUD index pages I have been using a naive search_keywords
> function as
> seen at end of message.
>
> Instead of using a primitive shlex.split, which incidentally is not unicode
> friendly, and one crude search_type (AND|OR) I'd like to use something
> that will
> lex/parse a search string and build the queries.
>
> eg.
>   ((x or z or y) and q) or not "h m"
>
> I imagine this would be a fairly common requirement however I can't seem
> to find
> any implementation anywhere.
>
> I used google code search with the query "pyparsing sqlalchemy lang:python"
> however found no useful results.

Google for "pyparsing query parser" and you'll find some helpful
links:
http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com/file/view/searchparser.py (source is
on the pyparsing wiki, plus it ships with the pyparsing source
distribution)
http://rephrase.net/days/07/04/pyparsing (a nice walkthrough of a
query parser and evaluator)

The O'Reilly shortcut "Getting Started with Pyparsing" (not free, but
extremely well-written) culminates with the development of a search
query parser to search for recipes by querying for matching
ingredients ("noodles and (tuna or ham)", "pineapple and not 'pizza
crust'", etc.).

-- Paul
(author of "Getting Started with Pyparsing")