Thanks,  I'm still getting a unicode decode error though.

C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-0.5.2-py2.6.egg\sqlalchemy
\types.pyc in process(value)
    468             def process(value):
    469                 if value is not None and not isinstance(value,
unicode):
--> 470                     return value.decode(dialect.encoding)
    471                 else:
    472                     return value

C:\Python26\lib\encodings\utf_8.pyc in decode(input, errors)
     14
     15 def decode(input, errors='strict'):
---> 16     return codecs.utf_8_decode(input, errors, True)
     17
     18 class IncrementalEncoder(codecs.IncrementalEncoder):

UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xbf in position
13: unexpected code byte

If I'm following this correctly it's because I've told sqlalchemy to
convert to unicode and the problem is that the value stored in the
database is already unicode.  So what I really needed to do is to tell
sqlalchemy that the stored values are *already* unicode.

Thanks
Neil