Sounds reasonable and fairly simple to do.

I think you would need two tables.
One for the tasks to be done an another for tasks completed (the
history you wanted)

It sounds like you would need the following functionality
* Insert record - Adding records to the que
* Qurey record - Finding the record that needs doing.
* Deleting record - Remove the task from the current_tasks table when
the task is complete.

I'd use the current date+time as a key for the current_tasks table so
you can query and return the first (session.query....first(), not all
()) record with the lowest date (as you may occasionally have more
than one entry with the exact same date)

SQLAlchemy is defiantly capable of doing all of these things and
provides awesome ORM functionality so you don't have to construct any
SQL - Look at declarative base
rough example here :
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/05/ormtutorial.html#creating-table-class-and-mapper-all-at-once-declaratively
more details here :