Agreed - it makes more sense to have a generic enum type which may fall back
to software should the db not actually support it.  Having said that, in
terms of using (selecting/updating) an enum field the syntax should be quite
similar across implementations. While I'm not familiar with databases other
than mysql/pg it would seem that aside from the syntax for creating an enum
and getting the values that compose an enum there wouldn't have to be
anything dialect specific for it.

Would it, based on the above assumption, not be possible to have a generic
enum type that figures out what to do based on what type of database we are
connected to without needing to specify MSEnum or the currently ficticious
PGEnum? Or is this what you are suggesting and I have misunderstood it?

If it comes in 0.6, thats fine by me - we can work around it for now.  As it
stands SQLAlchemy is probably one of the most awesome libraries i've ever
worked with :).

Damian