Clarification:

> If I set both Item.attributes and Item.tags to eager-load, then my
> result set size is the product of len(attributes) * len(tags), which
> is where the result set becomes HUGE.

I jumped right from the eager-load to the completely non-optimized (no
eager loading) scenario:

> This is a description of the
> queries before the optimization:
>
> select orders (1 query)
> select items (1 query)
> select attributes (1 query per item)
> select tags (1 query per item)

Here's the query list for the eager-load-attributes-and-tags scenario:

select orders (1 query)
select items eager-loading attributes and tags (1 query)

So 2 queries in that scenario, but the second query takes FOREVER to
execute and returns a HUGE result set.

~ Daniel