sacha wrote:

> Michael,
>
> do you mean, that subqueries could not be wrapped into sqlalchemy?

you talked about "mapping" to a select statement.  "mapping" means this:

m = mapper(MyClass, someselectable)

mapping like the above is usually done against individual tables, and
usually once per class per application.  You can do it against select()
statements but this is usually unnecessary.  You can also make multiple
mappers for a single class in an ad-hoc way, but again this is an ancient
use case that is much better addressed by using the Query object as
needed.

> what should be the arguments to join() I failed to figure out? how do
> I reference different instances of seq in fileter() after?

Usually you use query.join().   Self referential queries require an alias
for each join target.  There is an example at
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/05/ormtutorial.html#using-aliases .  Also
the example I mentioned earlier in examples/elementtree/optimized_ai.py
shows exactly a dynamically-constructed self-referential join.