I was getting ready to do something similar, and now I am confused.

How is what GHZ is doing fundamentally different from the documentation
example "Specifying Alternate Join Conditions to relation()"? Doesn't that
example wrap the primaryjoin in the and_() construct also?

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/05/mappers.html#specifying-alternate-join-conditions-to-relation

I can reproduce GHZ's error with declarative, but also can run the
documentation example using mappers.

Can we express the alternate joins with declarative?

--
Mike Conley