On Aug 26, 2009, at 8:53 PM, chris e wrote:

> I just checked the trunk, it the same reflection code is in place, as
> far as the column length is concerned.
>
> To me the question is, should sqlalchemy be aware of Char vs Byte
> storage?
>
> Is VARCHAR2(400) the same as VARCHAR2(100 CHAR), by storage size it
> is, but do we want storage size or number of characters?
>
> I'm not 100% sure. Anyone else out there using oracle, and have an
> opinion.

oh , I hadn't realized the VARCHAR2(100 CHAR) syntax.  in that case we
should stick with data length.   the point is that a round trip
reflection back to CREATE TABLE creates the same data type.

although a thornier issue is, should the number we send to String()
attempt to resolve itself in terms of character length instead of data
length.   For that I'd love for Jason to chime in but we might have to
put out the bat signal on the roof for that to happen.