Seth wrote:

> Michael,
>
> This is not valid SQL being outputted (at least on SQLite & MySQL).
> There should not be a parenthesis between the first UNION and SELECT.
> This causes an SQL error.
>
> Is there a way to reformat the query to get valid SQL?

the results you posted do not have any parenthesis, so I don't know what
you're referring to.

Here is an independent test which also does not render any parenthesis:

from sqlalchemy import *
from sqlalchemy.orm import *

m = MetaData()
t = Table('t1', m,
    Column('id', Integer, primary_key=True),
    Column('data', String)
)

class C(object):
    pass

mapper(C, t)

s = create_session()

q = s.query(C.id, C.data).from_statement(t.select().union(t.select()))
print q

SELECT t1.id, t1.data
FROM t1 UNION SELECT t1.id, t1.data
FROM t1