Greetings Alchemists,
  I want to define a column that will only accept a handful of possible
values.  Sure enough, I can to that with a check constraint or with a
lookup table an a foreign key.  However, for some reason, I really like
the semantic of an enum column.  That is, I like to read a definition
that looks like that:

  class Order(DeclarativeBase):
      __tablename__ = 'order'
      id = Column(Integer, primary_key=True)
      code = Column(Enum('CMTP'), nullable=False, default='C')
      # ...

There is the low level MySQL enum type and there is a somewhat dated
recipe on the wiki:

  http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/wiki/UsageRecipes/Enum

Is there another way to do it?  Something that would be portable and
to both MySQL and Postgres would be great.

Regards,

--
Yannick Gingras
http://ygingras.net