Using setattr() shouldn't be a problem, however the __dict__ attribute
also has other things in there like _sa_instance_state that I don't
believe you
want to copy to the new item. Try this instead:

for col in object_mapper(update):
    setattr(proxy,col.key,getattr(update,col.key))

--
David Gardner
Pipeline Tools Programmer