Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 22:49 +0100, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 16:29 -0500, Michael Bayer wrote:
>
>> > the error is raised directly by psycopg2.
>
>> I was afraid that the error is with psycopg2. Are you aware of any
>> bugtracker, mailing list or IRC channel that discusses psycopg2?
>
>> > I'd try taking out the ";" at the end of the statement,
>
>> That did not help unfortunately. Can you think of anything else I might
>> try?
>
> I found the error. The problem are '%' characters in the insert
> statements. Replacing '%' with '%%' solves the problem. I am still not
> convinced that using SA/psycopg2 is a better approach than using a psql
> subprocess. What do you think?

the "cleanest" approach would be if your "dumpfile" were just a delimited
file of some kind, agnostic of database.   then its a very simple script
that splits on delimeter and runs in using an executemany() (that is, a
single execute() with a large iteration of parameters).  But if you're
handed a dumpfile of Postgresql queries already in dump format, then you
should just use psql.