It *sounds* like exactly what I'm looking for, but when I try a simple
example, it doesn't seem to work:

>>> ol=OrderDetail()
>>> ol.productid = 'DININGCHAIR'
>>> DBSession.query(Product).with_parent(ol).all()
15:21:57,688 INFO  [sqlalchemy.engine.base.Engine.0x...d3d0] BEGIN
15:21:57,694 INFO  [sqlalchemy.engine.base.Engine.0x...d3d0] SELECT
products.productid AS products_productid, products.brand AS
products_brand, products.vendorsku AS products_vendorsku,
products.stockeditem AS products_stockeditem,
products.packagesplittype AS products_packagesplittype,
products.packagecomponent AS products_packagecomponent,
products.productgroup AS products_productgroup, products.productfamily
AS products_productfamily, products.productsubfamily AS
products_productsubfamily, products.description AS
products_description, products.regular AS products_regular,
products.commissiontype AS products_commissiontype,
products.replacementcost AS products_replacementcost, products.sale AS
products_sale, products.onhand AS products_onhand, products.onorder AS
products_onorder, products.imageurl AS products_imageurl,
products.special AS products_special, products.featured AS
products_featured, products.newproduct AS products_newproduct
FROM products
WHERE products.productid = %(param_1)s
15:21:57,694 INFO  [sqlalchemy.engine.base.Engine.0x...d3d0]
{'param_1': None}
[]

I had expected the bind variable param_1 to equal the fk of
'DININGCHAIR'

What am I missing?