Manlio Perillo <manlio.peri...@gmail.com> writes:

> Michael Bayer ha scritto:
>> Similarly, the concept of a "version" as an integer number is not really
>> flexible enough -
>
> The idea was to keep it simple.

IMHE, there's no such a beast!

>> I would like to investigate the creation of migration
>> scripts between branches as well.
>
> The version can then be a string, but it needs to sortable (see
> setuptool as an example).
>
>> The mechanism of schema versioning is
>> not at all something that belongs in SQLAlchemy core.

I'm all with Michael here. Sure, for *very* simple projects, it'd be
nice to have a mechanism that spits out the needed statements, but at
least in my experience (going from very little to moderately big and
complex schemas), maintaining an upgradable path is something better
done at another level. Some steps needs an hand-crafted solution, that
maybe involve dropping/recreating dependencies, temporary data-space to
upgrade existing contents and so on.

I'm an SQL man when it comes to maintaining the schema, so my bias
brought me to write a docutils based solution, so my databases are built
by a tool that extract the various pieces, reorder them resolving
dependencies (a DAG, introduced by script's metadata) (thanks to
Michael's topological sort, btw!) and execute the missing one on a
target database. Double value: good documentation, and automatic upgrade
of custom's databases.

It's GPL, just ask if interested!

ciao, lele.
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax    | Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas    | comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.