Krishnakant Mane wrote:
> hello all,
> I am working on a free software for accounting and rural banking in India.
> We use Pylons for web application.
> Now, my question is in reference to the recent threads on this mailing
> list regarding sqlalchemy connections.
> I heard that after a certain amount of connections, the library does
> have some problems managing them.
> I have looked at some emails but I would like if some one demystifies my
> understanding or misunderstanding.
> My application is based on MVC Architecture and the core logic is coded
> as XMLRPC based server side APIs.
> We create a connection for every new client which connects to the rpc
> server and maintain all the connections in a list.
> now I forsee a situation where more than 500 connections might be alive
> at one time in the list.
> I understand that sqlalchemy has some limitations on the number of
> connections (engines ) and their respective session objects which can be
> kept alive at the same time?
> if this is true, can i create some kind of a connection pool for the
> server?
> This way connections can be recycled and used for a lot of clients and
> new connections will only be created when needed.
> I want to avoide this situation, so I really want to know if there is
> some kind of upper limit on the number of engines that can be active at
> one time.

The connection pool can be configured to allow any number of connections
you'd like using the options described at
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/reference/sqlalchemy/connections.html#creating-engines
, or if you are using a Pool directly see the docs at
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/reference/sqlalchemy/pooling.html#sqlalchemy.pool.QueuePool
.  Keep in mind that 500 connections will require a very large amount of
memory on the client machine.   Hope this helps.