I was able to come up with a work-around, since this is part of a report, I was able to format the dates as strings
the way I was planning to do in python anyways:

qry=session.query(Task, func.cat(func.to_char(TaskHistory.updated,'MM/DD/YY HH:MI am')))

This works well for my needs (cat() isn't a standard Postgres aggregate, but instead something I wrote up in plpgsql).

Michael Bayer wrote:
oh. interesting problem, yeah. query is uniqing the values returned and assumes they are all hashable - it does this when any of the items in the row are full entities (i.e. your Task here). I don't know that there's a workaround for now other than using a TypeDecorator that turns the returned list into a tuple.

--
David Gardner
Pipeline Tools Programmer