George V. Reilly wrote:
> I'm at the MySQL conference. A couple of speakers have recommended
> adding SQL comments to queries for debugging; e.g., attributing a
> query to a higher-level operation, or that can be parsed by a slave
> during replication.
>
> Is there a way to do this in SQLAlchemy? That is, the generated SQL
> has a /* comment */ inserted by my code.

At the SQL expression layer, you have several ways to include comments
in the compiled SQL statement:

   1. The "prefixes" parameter to insert():

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/reference/sqlalchemy/expressions.html#sqlalchemy.sql.expression.insert
   2. prefix_with() generative method on Insert objects:

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/reference/sqlalchemy/expressions.html#sqlalchemy.sql.expression.Insert.prefix_with
   3. "prefixes" parameter to select():

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/reference/sqlalchemy/expressions.html#sqlalchemy.sql.expression.select
   4. append_prefix() generative method on Select objects:

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/reference/sqlalchemy/expressions.html#sqlalchemy.sql.expression.Select.append_prefix

e.g. select([table], prefixes=["/* some comment */"]) would compile as
"SELECT /* some comment */ column1, column2 FROM table"

If you want to apply prefixes by default or at the ORM layer, check out
this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/sqlalchemy/browse_thread/thread/a7e05537ae504d61

-Conor