"manager" is an attribute on InstanceState that is set at construction time,
and is never changed thereafter.    Looking at your error more closely, its not
that "manager" is None, its not even present.   That can only happen if
something del'ed the "manager" attribute, the InstanceState somehow went
through some failed deserialization process, or some gc-related activity had
occurred involving that object.   I'm not aware of any simple way to produce
that effect.  it certainly has nothing to do with the specifics of your
mappings.