Just because there are configuration problems associated with adding a feature like the one I needed is absolutely no reason to abandon it when it can bring value to the tool if used correctly and in some circumstances. I considered some of those exact complications "what if it was already installed, etc" and with my company's project, where I am using this useful tool in a circumstance you may overlook (it is perfectly acceptable to have such a feature, *despite* the list of complications you mention), such a feature would have been very valuable.

Since it is useful in my case, I understand it would be valuable for others as well.

(I don't appreciate the aggressive tone of your reply, though, nor do I see how my good faith efforts to help others warrant this... how did I possibly offend you with my post??)

On the other hand, I appreciate your "correct solution" as a good approach and I'll forward this idea to an author of SQLAlchemy for his consideration.