On May 26, 2010, at 10:10 AM, dhanil anupurath wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
> In my query i am not using any limit()/offset()/first()
> but i am using order by ascending. can "order by" cause an issue??

your stacktrace says you are using "first()":

 Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "model/availability.py", line 278, in set_none_state
   avail=DBSession.query(AvailState).with_lockmode(cls.lockmode).\
 File "/root/tg2env/lib/python2.4/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.5.6-
py2.4.egg/sqlalchemy/orm/query.py", line 1300, in first
   ret = list(self[0:1])

also SQLA 0.5 has inferior support for Oracle so I would suggest upgrading to
0.6 (the bug fix will only be in 0.6 in any case).

the nested queries are because Oracle does not support LIMIT/OFFSET directly.
A scheme using ROW NUMBER must be used.   That scheme needs to be adjusted to
move "FOR UPDATE" to the outside of the query.