theres a driver for "adaptive server anywhere 9" in SQLA 0.5.  in 0.6, we
removed this driver since it hasn't been tested for a few years and replaced
with one that is tested against Sybase ASE (which is the more important Sybase
we'd like to support).

So in this case, assuming you want to go against 0.6, you'd probably take the
0.6 version, and modify it accordingly using hints from the 0.5 version.   I
don't get the impression that ASA and ASE are compatible with each other
(though if thats not the case, then this whole thing becomes that much
easier/better...the DBAPI situation for ASE is not terrific).

Also you can start your dialect as an outside library, see
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1674841/how-do-i-write-an-external-dialect-for-sqlalchemy
 for info on how to make it into a plugin.