Thanks for your help. I'm not exactly sure what happened, so I'll have
to carefully look over this area again, but part of it was definitely
to do with needing the distinct session. Here's the minimal example I
extracted: http://pastie.textmate.org/private/lpgkq7gkaypmgkphknr2w
Frustratingly, the identity map problem disappeared when I created the
minimal example, and after getting the distinct session stuff to work
and putting that back in the original code, all seems well. A
question, though: on line 11, should I be replacing self.new or
appending to it? That is, when the final flush is done by commit(),
does session.new still contain everything that was newly added,
regardless of manual flush()es that happened before, or does
session.new only contain unflushed items?