On May 29, 2:42 pm, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:

> to my knowledge sqlite does not support transactional DDL (seems to have some
> support, but its not fully operational)

Hi, Michael -- and thanks for your quick help. I found a thread that
does seem to indicate that ALTER TABLE should roll back:

http://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-us...@sqlite.org/msg34649.html

>From that thread:

sqlite> create table foo (id integer, name text);
sqlite> begin immediate;
sqlite> alter table foo add number text;
sqlite> .schema
CREATE TABLE foo (id integer, name text, number text);
sqlite> rollback;
sqlite> .schema
CREATE TABLE foo (id integer, name text);

So it appears that sqlite *should* be able to roll back my ALTER
TABLE.  I don't see any COMMITs in SQLAlchemy's trace... any idea what
else might be happening?  Thanks again!