Sorry, meant to reply to you Michael... ended up replying to myself!
---

Firstly, apologies if I'm demanding too much but basically I'm quite a
beginner at Python programming and this is for a University project,
which is why I'm keen to get this done (due in a few days!). So I hope
you won't mind me asking some questions that may seem really basic.

> deepcopy has issues because SQLAlchemy places extra information on your
> objects, i.e. an _sa_instance_state attribute, that you dont want in your
> copy.  You *do* however need one to exist on your object.  Therefore deepcopy
> is not supported right now by SQLAlchemy ORM objects.
> There are ways to manually blow away the old _sa_instance_state and put a new
> one on the object, but the most straightforward is to make a new
> object with __init__() and set up the attributes that are significant,
> instead of doing a full deep copy.

Could you explain what you mean by creating a new object with
__init__() and setting up the attributes? Would this be a new class
that isn't mapped using SQLA?

> if you do really want to use deepcopy, you'd have to implement __deepcopy__()
> on your objects and ensure that a new _sa_instance_state is set up,
> there are functions in sqlalchemy.orm.attributes which can help with that.
> This *should* be made an official SQLA recipe, but we haven't gotten
> around to it.

Could you please explain what you mean by that? Would it be possible
to give me an idea or an example of how such would work?

>> How can I stop it from closing the
>> sessions?
> nothing in SQLA closes sessions.  Your program is doing that.

I'm not issuing a session.close() anywhere (I checked). Are there any
other ways of closing a session besides that? (If the answer is
"Plenty", don't worry about it... I'll try to track it down then)