On Jun 22, 2010, at 5:56 PM, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been going through my app to prepare for an upgrade to SA 0.6 and
> was wondering what the deal is with the ALLCAPS vs. Capitalized
> data types.
>
> It looks like the ALLCAPS are designed to have the same name as the
> dialect specific types, while the Capitalized versions are designed to
> be generic.  Am I right in that?
>
> For example, I'm on MySQL with enumeration columns.  I used to use
> MSEnum with strict=True.  It looks like I want to move to ENUM to
> continue using the strict option.  But will an Enum automatically
> support the ENUM features if the database supports it?
>
> I guess I wonder this - which am I "supposed" to use?

your assumptions about the ALLCAPS and such are correct.    You should probably
use the lowercase type as long as it does what you want, unless you want to
enforce that an actual ENUM is used regardless of backend (or an error is
raised).  Enum as far as all the types is the thorniest since the Postgresql
and MySQL implementations are so dramatically different.