On Jul 19, 2010, at 4:08 PM, Michael Bayer wrote:

> so its going to be doing that somewhat inefficient "isinstance(list)" thing
> you see below, this appears to be how it handles arrays of arbitrary numbers
> of dimensions. This could be optimized if the ARRAY type accepted some clues
> as to how many dimensions are present.

There is a function in postgresql called "array_dims" that returns the array
dimensions - could this be of some use? It could query the database dynamically
to get the number of values.

>  Seems a little suspicious that the slowdown would be 8000% though.

We have four columns in that table of type numeric[]. So that query returns
1000 rows x 4 numeric[] columns of 4634 values in each array. (I work with
Adrian.)

Cheers,
Demitri