The version of SQLAlchemy and pymssql is very significant here.    Older
pymssqls didn't really support unicode at all.  The current one, unclear, we
have basic dialect support for the latest pymssql in 0.6 but it hasn't been
strongly tested.

There is of course very good support for pyodbc which runs on all platforms.